Like most states, we are caught up in the cruel torture of national policies that are driven by greed, imperialism, and stupidity. Readrers of Waxing America will recall that in the spring of 2007 I forecasted a stock market crash and repeated it last January, Another War; Another Recession. Whatdidyah Expect?
Last spring I used my limited abilities in forecasting the economy and predicted a stock market crash... For the second time in my lifetime a stupid, foolish war built on lies not only wrecked havoc with another country but it is destroying the American economy.
It does not take a rocket scientist to get it right... Go on take 10% of your income and set it on fire, throw it down the toilet, or just rip it up. And just for good measure, borrow a lot of money and rip it up too.
It is so simple. You cannot destroy your resources and your assets. Imagine the homes and schools that might have been built. Billions of dollars - now that is stimulation for the economy.
I am not a genius in these matters; it is that I am not driven by blind ideology in arriving at conclusions about the ecomony. A few years experience in the public and private sectors, an understanding of history and a willingness to distance myself from bad public planning, or lack of planning, no matter how politically popular the proposal, do help.
As the fall elections approach, candidates for the Wisconsin legislature and Congress from both political parties will warm your frontal lobes with cuddly promises of 'no tax increases,' cutting fat from the budget, and reducing spending.
If you are attracted to those soft sweet sounds, complete the job and instead of voting, just get a lobotomy.
If you want a candidate who will provide a lump of coal to warm you in your decrepit retirement, and a dull knife so you can remove your spouse's appendix by candlelight in your toothless waning years, I suggest looking for the following promises:
- A pledge to the business community to provide an educated, trained workforce, not lower taxes.
- A pledge to increase spending on education from kindergarten through the University of Wisconsin and Voc-Tech Systems.
- A commitment to spend money on infrastructure that places a priority on the environment, health, and safety.
- A commitment to regulate where appropriate and needed.
- That infratstructure will be funded through borrowing as should any reasonable capital budget item.
- The operating budget, unlike the capital budget, will be funded by general purpose revenues, and only general purpose revenues. No borrowing here.
- It will be necessary to increase taxes. The increase will be progressive and will fall on wealthier taxpayers.
- A commitment to regulate where required for health and safety.
- A declaration that international trade which exports great jobs and imports poisonous pet food and baby formula is not working.
- There will be no reductions of state revenue payments to local units of government. These reductions only end up with increase in the property tax which has the impact of shifting taxes from the wealthy to the middle class.
- On the national level there will be increases in the income tax- progressive increases.
- If we fight a war, there will be honest talk. It is impossible to have guns and butter. If we fight a war there must be sacrifices at home as well as on the battlefield.
- If the candidate tells you they are highly regarded by Wisconsin Manufacturers and Commerce (WMC), tell that candidate to move to Alaska.